CLE: Love is a Battlefield – Troubleshooting Emerging Issues in Marriage-Based Cases
In this CLE, the panel will discuss the various ways in which marriage related issues arise before USCIS, DOS, and in removal proceedings. A person’s marriage history is now a point of investigation at all stages of a person’s immigration journey. USCIS and DOS are actively assessing nonimmigrant visa claimed relationships, validity of foreign divorce decrees, omission of dependents that surface later, and increasing use of home visits to conduct ad hoc interviews.
This panel will discuss:
- How to screen for potential issues before filing, such as knowing when a divorce is valid under the INA and surprises embedded in nonimmigrant visa applications.
- How to prove someone is divorced when USCIS claims otherwise.
- Strategies for protecting your client from a second interview in their living room without an attorney present when FDNS visits. The panel will also review the legal marriage exception for VAWA purposes.
- David Wilson – Wilson Law Group
- Lucy Egberg – Davis & Egberg
- Abigail Wahl – Puerta Grande Law Firm
- Brittany Bakken – Wilson Law Group
Location: Mitchell Hamline School of Law, Room 225, 875 Summit Ave, St. Paul MN 55105
Date and Time: Friday, February 28, 2020, 8:30 – 10:00 AM
*** Remote Attendance Available Upon Request
Friday, February, 28 2020, 8:30 AM to 10:00 AM
This event has passed.